In all Instances, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineer’s (IEEE) Bylaws, Constitution, Policy and Procedures manual, and the Regional Activities Board (RAB) Bylaws and Operations Manual will prevail when there is a conflict between these documents and Section Bylaws.
ARTICLE I – Name and Territory
- This organization shall be known as the Hiroshima Section of the IEEE, hereinafter called the IEEE Hiroshima Section.
- The territory of the IEEE Hiroshirna Section, as approved by RAB, includes the following prefectures in Japan: Tottori, Shimane, Okayama, Hiroshima and Yamaguchi, which correspond to regions represented by the upper three digits 680 to 759 in postal numbers.
ARTICLE II – Officers and Auditor
- The elected officers of the Section shall be the four (4) Executive officers: Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Treasurer, hereinafter called the Section Officers. The officers of the Secretary and Treasurer may be combined. lf there are chapters in the IEEE Hiroshima Section, the Chapter Chairs are included in the Section Officers. An Auditor shall be appointed by the Past Section Chair from the IEEE Hiroshima Section membership.
- The terms of office of the elected officers and the appointed auditor will begin on 1 January and will be for two (2) years. The period of service shall not exceed two (2) years. Meanwhile, the outgoing officers are requested to continue until their successors are duly elected and take office.
- The Annual Meeting will be held in January.
- Any vacancy occurring during the years shall be filled for the remainder of the term by a majority vote of the Section Executive Committee.
ARTICLE III – Standing Committees
- The Standing Committees of the Section will be as follows: Fellow Nominations, Membership Development, Professional Activities, and Awards and Recognition.
- The Chair of the Standing Committees will be appointed by the Section Chair with the approval of the Section Executive Committee, and their terms will expire on the same day as the elected Section Officers’ end of term date.
- Each Committee Chair will appoint his/her committee members, with approval from the Section Executive Committee, and their terms will expire on the same day as the Chairs’ end-of-term date.
ARTICLE IV – Management
- The management of the Section shall be conducted by the Section Executive Committee which shall consist of the Section Officers, the Past Section Chair, Chairs of the Standing Committees, representatives from the Hiroshima Chapters of the IEEE Societies, and such other members elected by the Section membership or appointed by the Section Chair, however, the number of the Section Executive Committee members shall not exceed nineteen (19) and the number of voting members elected by the Section membership must be at least one greater than those appointed.
- A majority of the Section Executive Committee shall constitute a quorum, provided that delegates elected by the Section membership are at least one greater in number than delegates appointed to the Committee.
- A majority of the Section Executive Committee present shall be necessary in the conduct of its business.
- Meetings of the Section Executive Committee ordinarily will be held at least three (3) times a year and will be called by the Section Chair or by a request of any three (3) members of the Section Executive Committee.
- The fiscal year for the Section shall be the calendar year.
ARTICLE V – Nomination and Election of Officers and Executive Committee Members
- A Nomination Committee consisting of at least three (3) members, not then officers of the Section shall be appointed by the Section Chair with the approval of the Section Executive Committee.
- The nominations by the Nomination Committee will be announced to the Section membership and, following this, a minimum of twenty-eight (28) days allowed for additional nominations by petition. To be valid, the petition must be signed by two percent (2%) or more voting membership.
- If only one nomination is made for each office, the election will be made at the Annual Meeting. If additional nominations are made, election will be by ballot, mailed to the membership with the vote counted by a Tellers Committee appointed by the Section Chair.
- The timetable for this procedure is as follows:
– Appointment of Nomination committee: by July 31
– Announcement of Nominations: by August 31
– Close nominations by petition: by September 30
– Mail a ballot, if required: by October 31
– Hold elections: by November 30
- A plurality of the votes cast shall be necessary for election.
ARTICLE VI – Business Meeting
- In order to transact business at a Section meeting, at least three (3) Section Executive Committee members must be present to constitute a quorum.
ARTICLE VII – Finances
- All expenditures of Section funds must be approved by the Section Chair.
- Without prior authorization of the IEEE Executive Committee, Section funds can only be used for normal operations of the Section.
- The Treasurer shall be authorized to draw funds as approved by the Section Executive Committee.
- An assessment can be charged to members of the Hiroshima. Section in accordance with the IEEE Bylaws.
ARTICLE VII – Amendments
- Proposals for amendments to these Bylaws may originate in the Section Executive Committee or by a petition signed by twenty percent (20%) or more voting members.
- Amendments to or revocation of these Bylaws shall require a two thirds (2/3) majority vote of the Section Executive Committee.